At this time of year, for those reading this in the Northern Hemisphere away from the equator, the nights are getting darker sooner, and it is getting colder. The onset of the winter blues like a virus is just around the corner, jumping from one grumpy person to the next.
It doesn’t have to be this way, you can inoculate yourself from the winter blues. Try these things and see which ones work for you:
- Avoid reading newspapers and watching those 24 hour news channels, they exist to carry shocking and negative news to keep you coming back for more.
- Don’t be drawn into negative conversations with others, the easiest way to do this is not to say anything or respond when people criticize, as if you didn’t even hear it.
- Look for the silver lining in any situation, don’t be drawn into the negative, rather say ‘do you know that’s good because…’. For example, that’s good because it means we’ll do it better next time.
- Focus on what you do want, not what you don’t. A great way of doing this is through the use of goal setting, which of course should be written down. These winter months are a great time for planning for the year ahead.
- Surround yourself with happy out going people – just as you can catch a negative virus you can catch one that make you super human. How would you act if you felt invincible, how would things be different?
The onset of those winter blues are not inevitable, what would it mean for you if you maintained your bounce this year?